At Whidbey Dental Associates, our Oak Harbor dentists provide compassionate pediatric dentistry to aid your child’s oral hygiene as they grow. When you visit our inviting practice, Dr. Wirth will make you and your little one feel at ease.
Our goal with pediatric care is to teach children about proper oral hygiene habits, such as the correct way to brush their teeth.
Benefits of Pediatric Dentistry
These are some of the reasons why our patients and their kids love visiting our Oak Harbor practice for your child’s dental care:
- Individualized dental care — At Whidbey Dental Associates, we customize our preventive treatments to your child’s unique dental needs, whether it’s polishing, fluoride treatment, fillings, and more.
- Routine building — It’s vital for children to learn how to brush and floss at a young age properly. We recommend breaking bad habits such as teeth grinding and thumb sucking as early as possible.
- Comfortability — A pediatric dentist is used to working with children. Dr. Wirth’s chairside manner will keep your child relaxed throughout the entire visit.
- Specialized training — Dentists that provide pediatric care generally receive training that is specialized for working with children because there is an array of problems that a young developing smile faces, including cavities, gum disease, and baby teeth.
Tips to Develop Good Oral Hygiene
While children’s teeth are somewhat durable, parents can make a substantial impact on their future dental health by modeling good behavior.
At Whidbey Dental Associates, we want to set your children up for success. Below are some useful tricks to get your kids excited about proper dental care.
Before your child’s first tooth erupts, you can use a damp, soft washcloth to clean your baby’s gums. By doing this regularly, you are ensuring that your child becomes accustomed to oral care.
Another way to get your child used to dental care is to maintain your routine visits to our office. Bi-annual dentist visits are the first step toward proper oral hygiene.
Once the first tooth erupts, it’s crucial that you begin to brush and floss your child’s teeth gently.
Make Dental Care Fun
Implementing good oral hygiene habits can be difficult for children, so we recommend making their brushing and flossing routine fun.
You can do this by:
- Buying a toothbrush with your child’s favorite cartoon character on it
- Buying a toothbrush that sings and makes noise.
- Making the visits part of a fun trip; you could take them to the park, take them to the movies, or any other enjoyable place before or after your appointment.
What to Expect at Your Pediatric Appointment
When you visit Whidbey Dental Associates for the first time, it’s generally expected that you wait until your child’s first tooth erupts or their first birthday.
While you’re here, our Oak Harbor dental team will take their time explaining anything that we do to ensure your child feels relaxed.
During your follow-up visits, we’ll complete the following:
- Fluoride care
- X-rays and oral exams
- Best care practices for your child